Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Best Vcr Ever Made Wagner's "Tristan Und Isolde": Best Interpretation(s) You've Ever Heard/seen? Live, Recorded?

Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde": best interpretation(s) you've ever heard/seen? live, recorded? - best vcr ever made

There have been many recordings of complete operas - the "icon" of romantic music Lakes - many excerpts from it (the famous "Liebestod", etc.), transcription for piano by them or by other instruments.

The "Liebestod" is always a popular concert, usually with a singer.

So, what is your favorite rendentition, LP, in whole or in part, VCR, CD, DVD, whatever, if they are registered.

I recently reviewed the local municipal library, a recording of the Bayreuth Festival itself, conducted in 1966-7 (on a CD transfer of 1997), with Karl Bohm, Wolfgang Windgassen and Birgit Nilsson in the title role: The more complete version that I heard have, without exception.

Here are excerpts: Back in the '50s led to Leopold Stokowski's orchestral version of the love duet, Second II, where the Liebestod appenged its financial statements, and recorded with the (then large) Philadelphia Orchestra: sublime. Your favorites?

2 comments:

hfrankma... said...

The Karl Bohm / Windgassen Birgit Nilsson was the first version that I heard and still hear the CD. Hardly to surpass the great sense of discovery of the first hearing of a work as monumental and yet difficult to overcome Birgit Nilsson.

Live is something completely different, but if I choose to be my favorite driver for Levine at the Met in 1999 and it seems this year the best Böhm, because it is very accurate and very fresh, the sound in the ears to be mixed . Sorry, never seen Jon Vickers and Birgit Nilsson do together, that was legendary, and are always on their performance at the Met to talk.

As part of the opera in concert was in fact most of the second act, with Jessye Norman, in his early career, Isolde and Jon Vickers, near the end of his ace, Tristan. This was at Tanglewood, and although we only lawn seats just founded in the barn and has an open seat. I pretended that he saw the messenger who should be held out to me - I've never done anything like it before or after. He was one of the bestMusical experiences in my life. Mrs. Norman never sung a complete Isolde as I know, even if it regularly Sieglinde and Kundry, but it was on the afternoon of magic.

Edik said...

I heard only a handful of recordings of "Tristan and I have only one (which is my favorite I've heard is ... that's why I bought it ...)

My favorite CD recordings by Wilhelm Furtwangler, Kirsten Flagstad, Ludwig Suthaus with EMI. I do not remember the year, but I think it's 1950, and was mastered in the 2000s. Fantastic!

I also enjoyed the inclusion of Carlos Kleiber, it's management, but I did not know so I can not comment further. And I said Karajan recording with Jon Vickers is great, but I did not hear me. (One of my former teachers said that the best Vickers "Tristan" ... I am excited to hear that!)

The Bohm / Nills recording is also very good. I can do more Kleiber and Furtwangler himself personally, but it is a very spirited performance.

Heard a recording of Bernstein, but I forgot that was the singer. It was not good. Agonizingly slow, as my action with virtually all areas of BernsteiNo registration. I remember his slow tempos (tempi, if you prefer) seems to be really ordinary singer ...

I have never seen two video recordings, and both were Met productions. One was a DVD Ben Heppner as Tristan and James Levine conducting. It was really wonderful. Another was the Met production this season, because - I was not in New York theater, but in my local Regal Cinemas, where it sends. While the transmission of video is poor, the music was very good. I forgot that this was a replacement Heppner evening, but he did a good job ... Not spectacular, but under the circumstances was very good.

I've never seen live, I'm sorry to say. One day!

Post a Comment